org.freedesktop.PowerManagement version 0.2

Nate Nielsen nielsen-list at memberwebs.com
Tue Apr 17 12:54:20 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> Latest version for review:
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/power-management-spec-0.2.html

Perhaps this is out of the scope of org.freedesktop.PowerManagement, but
I'm wondering if the following has been accounted for:

gnome-keyring (and most likely kwallet) needs a way of flushing certain
data from memory before Hibernation. Putting certain data (passwords,
etc...) on a disk would compromise the security of a system.

Is there a way to perform actions before hibernation by listening to a
DBus interface? Signals may not work in this case, because of race
conditions. It would seem that a DBus signal could be delivered, the
hibernate action take place, all before the signal handler can take
appropriate action.

Am I completely barking up the wrong tree? Do I need to look elsewhere
for such notifications?

Cheers,
Nate Nielsen