org.freedesktop.PowerManagement version 0.2

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Apr 25 04:16:33 PDT 2007

Hi list,

First of all, sorry for replying so late, this discussion was one my scope for
long but couldn't find the time to jump on it.

Let's comment on the latest version.

Le Lundi 02 Avril 2007, Richard Hughes a écrit :
> Latest version for review:
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/power-management-spec-0.2.html
>
> * Removed Standby due to general consensus
> * Added the Use Cases section

Good. I'm not fully sure that the partition editor use case isn't a bit like a
corner case though.

> * Renamed GetBatteryState to GetOnBattery.
> * Added GetLowBattery to discover battery state.

Ok, that's obviously to address the "partition editor" use case. But, it looks
too fine grained to me. In fact it certainly comes from the fact that I don't
see any use for GetOnBattery for applications. From the description all
the "partition editor" would need is GetLowBattery.

Moreover for those too (GetOnBattery and GetLowBattery) since they try to
address a corner case, I'd be more in favor to leave them out for now. It'll
be easier to add later if the need arise.

> * Deprecated Shutdown and Reboot methods - they will be removed
>   when we can call these on a session manager (real soon)

Yeah, I agree here, it's definitely a session management thing IMO.

> * Added Inhibit interface for initial review.

I almost like it. :-)

I'm just wondering if we shouldn't try to give a bit more control to the
applications when they call Inhibit. For instance, the app might want to
provide a hint that it doesn't want suspend and hibernate to happen also when
they're triggered manually. I'm thinking about CD Burning for instance, those
applications clearly need to hint the power manager that they should not be
interrupted be it because of an idle session, user wrongly requesting
suspend, or because of very low battery.

So I'd add two bool to inhibit similar to this:
 bool except_user_triggered
 bool except_on_low_battery

They would default to "true", but applications would have the opportunity to
disable one of those exception when inhibiting.

> * Replace DeniedByPolicy with PermissionDenied.

Thumb up.

Thanks a lot for the work done so far.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."