[kde-artists] Icon naming issue

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Apr 27 13:59:30 PDT 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 20:49 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> The icon search is supposed to fall back to HiColor.  The problem
>> is that now neither KDE nor GNOME has a set of HiColor icons to
>> fall back to.  The answer to this should be obvious (and it needs
>> to be added to the standard).  We need to have a list of secondary
>> backup icon themes that will be searched when a fall back to
>> HiColor doesn't find an icon. I suggest that this be in a file so
>> that it can be easily changed (or changed by the user).
>>
>> The current XDG standard allows this secondary list *before*
>> HiColor but it does not specify how this is to be implemented.  We
>> appear to have hard coded CrystalSVG before HiColor and this is a
>> mess for anyone that doesn't use CrystalSVG.  This would also work
>> if implemented with a configuration file since it could be changed
>> to what I suggested by adding "hicolor" at the start of the list.
>> So, actually, we don't need to fall back to HiColor; what we need
>> to do is to fall back to the list of fallback icons in a file as
>> this will cover all contingencies.
>>

> Not that I think any of this will solve the icon theme mess, but GTK+
>  already has a setting for this:
>
> Net/FallbackIconTheme           string  Name of an icon theme to try
> as a last resort
>
> How about simply using that ?

I see that GNOME has encountered the exact same problem that I have raised.

Yes, this is a possible solution, but it doesn't conform to the spec.
The spec says:
<q>
The lookup is done first in the current theme, and then recursively in
each of the current theme's parents, and finally in the default theme
called "hicolor" (implementations may add more default themes before
"hicolor", but "hicolor" must be last).
</q>
So, that is what we should do.  All we need to do is make it
configurable instead of hard coded.  To be clear, the name of any icon
theme other than HiColor must not appear in the code.  Specifically, the
current default icon theme must be referred to by the link: "default" or
"default.kde".

--
JRT