Icon name; task-passed-due

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Aug 2 11:26:26 PDT 2007

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 10:34 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Rodney Dawes wrote:

>>> Or, the time when a task is due, has passed.

>>> There is nothing in the spec requiring single tokens to be
>>> separated with the _ character. It is only stated as one of
>>> the allowed characters.
>> Correct.  The issue is that the spec says:
>>
>> The dash "-" character is used to separate levels of specificity in icon
>> names, for all contexts other than MimeTypes.
>>
>> Does that mean that that is the *only* use of the dash.  I think that it
>> should be, and that is the way that I read it -- if there is a dash in a
>> non-MimeType name, then it indicates a separation of levels  of specificity.
>
> No. It does not say only anywhere in that statement in the spec. It is
> how you chose to read it, as you want it to be that way. It is used for
> both.

Correct.  Either way is OK with me, as long as I know which is meant.

However, I do note that code is not able to distinguish which use the
dash is being used for and will always interpret it as a separation of
levels of specificity.  I don't see that as a large issue, but it will
make some icon searches longer.

--
JRT