[Inkscape-devel] Window Manager Modifiers

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sat Aug 4 15:13:59 PDT 2007

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 18:51:10 +0200 jiho <jo.irisson at gmail.com> babbled:

> Hello everyone,
>
> First of all, it was not my intention to start a flame war or
> anything. It is just my personal opinion that what lacks the more
> cruelly to Linux desktop currently is consistency and keybindings is
> one particularly clear example. I hoped that mentioning it on this
> list, where the problem is regularly brought up, would get the ball
> rolling to the correct people (be they freedesktop or someone else).
> Anyway, I happily use Mac OS X (where keybindings are quite
> consistent and can be edited easily anyway) and won't "fight" for
> linux to get better... I just hope it will, because I like the
> development model more ;-)

here's the problem. in windows or OSX - you have no CHOICE. you get your "wm"
with the bindings it comes with - and that's it. sure - some of these bindings
can be changed - and that is no different to x11 and window managers -the
difference being there is not just 1 wm. there are many - with many many many
different features, ideas and design goals. they will all probably have
different needs for bindings based on these features. asking every wm to NOT
use some modifier or to all use exactly the same isn't going to happen - just
like you won't get OSX and Windows to use the EXACT same modifiers. with key
bindings it is possible to find if it's been stolen (just try to grab it
yourself - if the grab fails, it's taken - then ungrab again as you only want
to use it as a normal key event within your focused window). button bindings
can't be easily detected (in theory they can - walk the window tree to every
parent window of yours until you hit root, do this after a reparent, and strut
grab a button/modifier combo, then ungrab, and if at any level this fails -
someone else has stolen it).

> That said, here are my two more cents (or maybe three...)
>
> Some quick math first: suppressing a key from the three available to
> applications does not suppresses only a third of the possibilities,
> indeed those things are multiplicative. With 2 modifiers and 10 keys
> on a keyboard you have

i know. :)

> 	2 * 10 + 1 * 10 = 30 possibilites
> (2 modifs, 1 combination). With three you now have
> 	3 * 10 + 3 * 10 + 1 * 10 = 70 possibilites
> (3 modifs, 3 two-way combinations, 1 three-way combination).
> Now add the mouse and things are getting worse.
> So the decision here is important as it severely impacts the
> applications.

and has impacted them for a long time. this is not a new issue. the important
thing is that applications have to live with it. as above it is possible to
detect these things (it's ugly - but would work). you need to just keep clear
of commonly "stolen" button/key bindings. you need a way to be able to
re-configure them for your application, the same way wm's provide ways to
change them (or most do). the wm authors have mostly done their bit to
accommodate apps by allowing configuration, but it is rare apps do the reverse.
to my mind that is not playing a "good citizen".

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)