A directory for color profiles

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Dec 11 08:45:22 PST 2007

Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> 2007/12/11, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org>:
>> It is really the same issue as with icons (and other things): what do we
>> do if two apps try to put something with the same name in the same
>> place.  We really need to address that issue and although in this case
>> requiring all apps to use an appropriate subdirectory will solve the
>> problem, this won't work for icons.  So, if we develop a general
>> solution (some of VFS), we should probably use it here as well.
>
>>From my point of view is the same as asking "what if my program tries
> to overwrite xorg" or "my application wants to keep globally readable
> files in /root." Make applications behave well or distros won't
> package them (or will struggle to patch the sources). That's the
> answer.

No, this is different.  The situation is that different applications are
going to want to install the _same_ files which are only need if one of
several apps are installed.  With apps that do color management, they
are all going to want to install the standard ICC color profiles.  No
problem if we only install one, but it is probable that a user will
install more than one and the reason to have a public location for these
files is to avoid having multiple copies of them.

Having subdirectories that are searched recursively will make all ICC
profiles on the system available to all apps, but it doesn't solve the
problem of multiple copies being installed.  It appears to me that as we
have more XDG standards that this problem is going to keep growing.  I
don't know if package managers have a way to deal with this issue either.

--
JRT