MPRIS Media player Remote Interfacing Specification

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:55:50 EET 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 10:33 +0100, Mirsal ENNAIME wrote:
> The purpose of this spec is to define a common dbus interface for media
> players called org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer with basic player and
> tracklist control methods and signals.

As I was last time this was proposed, I'm interested in getting this off
the ground - a common dbus interface to do basic operations with media
players would be great.

> There are draft interfaces defined here:
> http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/Media_Player_Interfaces
> http://wiki.videolan.org/DBus-spec
> http://bmpx.beep-media-player.org/site/MPRIS_Interfacing_Specification

Those three pages point to different variations of the spec, and there
are quite a few important differences - both large and subtle. Is there
a canonical version of the spec, and a canonical place to discuss it?

Most of it looks good to me, but there are few things that I think could
be done slightly better, or don't really make sense to all music players
(so probably shouldn't be in a "basic" interface that everyone must
implement).

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
    -- Isaac Asimov