Standardized keyboard shortcut to paste PRIMARY?

Laurence Darby ldarby at tuffmail.com
Sun Feb 18 09:53:21 PST 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Laurence Darby wrote:
> >I'm new to this list... maybe you'll think I'm beating a dead horse
> >that is really starting to smell, but IMHO it is still galloping round
> >the field.   I spent all yesterday and this morning searching for an
> >answer, and found nothing satisfactory.
> >
> >Is there a standard that specifies a keyboard shortcut for pasting the
> >PRIMARY buffer?
>
> No, I don't think so.
>
> >If not, why not?
>
> Because PRIMARY is a mouse-only thing. You set it with the mouse and you
> paste it with the mouse too.

Selecting text with the keyboard sets PRIMARY, and Shift-insert will
paste it, but only in non GTK/QT apps.  So saying PRIMARY is a mouse
only thing is just plain wrong.

> >Why I want one:
> >---------------
> >Reaching for the mouse, moving the mouse to where I want to insert the
> >text (which is already where the text cursor is 99% of the time)
> >middle-clicking, then moving back to the keyboard again, is getting
> >really bloody tiresome.
>
> So use the CLIPBOARD. You can set it by using Ctrl+C and you can paste it
> with the keyboard too. I don't see what your problem is.

That doesn't work in xterm.  You've completly missed my point, as I
should have expected.

I REALLY DO WANT TO BE ABLE PASTE *PRIMARY* BY USING THE KEYBOARD IN
*ALL* ENVIRONMENTS, WITH THE SAME NUMBER OF KEY PRESSES THAT IT TAKES
IN NON GTK/QT ENVIRONMENTS, WHICH IS EXACTLY TWO.  SHIFT+INSERT.

The klipper solution is currently best for me, but that has basically
merged PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD which everyone says is a bad thing.  To be
honest I don't give a rat's ass about this, and I never ever
deliberatly use the CLIPBOARD. I just want my desktop to be easy to
use, which it is now.

I had a vague hope of fixing this for everyone else too, which I see
now was stupidly optimistic.

Laurence