shared wasabi implementation

Max Wiehle max.wiehle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:09:39 PST 2007

Hi,

Hope it's okay if i just jump right into the discussion. I just read
about wasabi on a dashboard-hackers and i am quite interested in it so i
tried to catch up with the mailing list archive. I worked on a metadata
store for beagle during last years Summer of Code and i am still trying
to follow what happens on the desktop search / metadata side of things
as time permits.

Am Sonntag, den 18.02.2007, 21:15 +0100 schrieb Mikkel Kamstrup
Erlandsen:

> Ok. If we are to standardize something like this, I would assume that
> we use dbus for rpc - as far as I can tell that doesn't seem to be a
> problem..? Fx a dbus api like:
>
>  - AddFile (in as metadata, in s input_file)
>  - AddText (in as metadata, in s text)
>
> where the metadata argument contains things such as uri, mime, and hit
> type (in some specified order (and maybe some
> filtering/stemming/whatnot info)). The AddFile method sorta replaces
> the "drop-in-special-dir" approach - the drop-in-special-dir method
> could still be allowed for apps not talking dbus. The AddText method
> should encapsulate the functionality of Beagles' current
> IndexServiceRequest/Indexable duo.

Maybe it would be possible to have a
  - AddMetadata (in as metadata, in s uri)
as well. This could be used for all kinds of metadata that is added to a
object aside from indexing. fx tags, emblems, notes in nautilus. Or
epiphany might add "downloaded_from" to a files metadata - saved
attachements could be marked as belonging to a certain email and vice
versa etc.

Max