[Wasabi] Kicking of the Metadata spec - brainstorm

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 14:20:51 PST 2007

2007/2/20, Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:

> 2007/2/20, Joe Shaw <joeshaw at novell.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 21:23 +0100, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > > Hehe, now _you_ are taking this spec further then intended. ;-)
> > > I'll not get into this. On the KDE side this is something for
> > > Sebastian Trueg (Nepomuk) to consider.
> >
> > Heh.  Fair enough.  Should we keep it simply to the search-side of
> > things, then?
>
> The intention is to define a way to define metadata fields.

Do you mean this literally - ie a mechanism for defining metadat fields? Or
do you mean that we should define the fields themselves (as I would tend
to).

This is
> required for searching and useful for metadata read/write too. So lets
> come up with the properties we allow metadata fields to have. I think
> what we have so far is what is required for searching too. So this
> will not be about an API for reading and writing.

Yes. We can postpone the API for now. The most important is the field
definitions and groupings of these.

I would like to say that this will allow us to have common unit tests
> for the data extractors. This is a nice boon.

 Huzaa! Cheers,
Mikkel