[Wasabi] Kicking of the Metadata spec - brainstorm

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed Feb 21 05:39:42 PST 2007

Hi,

[trimmed CC line]

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> How would you manage locks on the db?

Assuming sqlite, you just let it handle them.  You have to be
intelligent in your use of transactions, but I don't see how a daemon
inherently improves lock contention.

> Was synchronization issues not the reason why leaftag wasn't
> successful? I mean if you can't keep file tags synchronized then
> you are unlikely to succeed in keeping general metadata up to
> date...

I think that's one reason why it wasn't successful, but more importantly
it wasn't pushed by the developers and was ultimately abandoned by them.

Synchronization becomes much less of an issue if you're able to attach
the metadata to the files themselves.

Joe