well-known user folders, a proposal

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Thu Feb 22 04:30:54 PST 2007

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I'd like some feedback from the various desktop projects. Do you think
> this is an important area to standardize? Does my approach make sense?
> Is my code full of holes?

I think it's necessary to standardize on this and on first sight your
proposed solution makes sense. However, to avoid trouble, I'd strongly
suggest to allow only UTF-8 filename encoding. I'd also suggest to use
PICTURES instead of PHOTOS.

On thing left however: How does an application determine the icon that
should be used to represent the special user folder?

Benedikt