Thumbnail Management Spec needs revision (Was Re: A Standard for Thumbnailers)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 8 18:08:02 PST 2007

Hi,

Speaking about thumbnails, I was thinking the other day that the
thumbnail spec probably needs revision before it's ready for 1.0.

The problem is with encrypted volumes; we really don't want to store
plain-text thumbnails originating from files on encrypted thumb drives.
We should probably sort this soon out as a number of Linux-based OS'es
support e.g. LUKS as seen here

 http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=64

that makes it very easy to use encrypted volumes on e.g. USB drives. The
right thing to do is probably to store the thumbnails per mount as we do
with trash-spec. Something to keep in mind.

     David