Thumbnail Management Spec needs revision (Was Re: A Standard for Thumbnailers)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jan 9 10:01:42 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 09:11 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > that makes it very easy to use encrypted volumes on e.g. USB drives. The
> > right thing to do is probably to store the thumbnails per mount as we do
> > with trash-spec. Something to keep in mind.
>
> Its very easy to say "per volume", but its a lot harder to implement, as
> is clear for the trash spec and from anyone trying to implement
> per-volume objects. per volume dirs have sharing and permission issues,
> not to mention the hell that you have to go through to map from a
> pathname to the volume its on (considering things like symlinks, bind
> mounts, etc).

A harder problem is probably to determine when a file stems from an
encrypted file system / block device. Am almost certain we need kernel
support for that. Storing thumbnails per mount was merely a suggestion;
an easier solution would simply be to not store Thumbnails for files
originating from encrypted file systems / block device.

However, I think the spec does need to mention files originating from
encrypted file systems / block devices. Do you disagree?

      David