RFC - a casual sound API on fd.o?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 9 11:50:37 PST 2007

Marc-André Lureau wrote:
>hello xdg,
>
>I propose here a sound API for casual use, playing events and writing
> very simple audio players.
>There is no std API that address this, and it would be good to have one
> on fd.o, no?

Are you proposing an in-process or an out-of-process playback of the sound
file?

If it's in-process, I think you're going to find it very hard to adapt to
backends in use and to find themed files. At least, if you plan on
keeping this library lightweight.

If you're going for out-of-process, I suggest you simply define a D-Bus
interface class, service name as well as the documentation for it. This
should be enough. Your library would simply wrap those D-Bus calls and
signals for applications not using a high-level D-Bus binding.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358