RFC - a casual sound API on fd.o?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 9 13:12:04 PST 2007

Marc-André Lureau wrote:
>Hmm, I don't know. If I have to write an out-of-process, I will have the
>same problem isn't it? This should be implemented somehow, someone as to
> do it. Furthermore, once you have implemented it, it seems quite easy
> to add transparent out-of-process for the very same API.

An out-of-process implementation of a few D-Bus API calls would be almost
trivial to implement in a running daemon that desktop environments
already provide. They already have theming capabilities -- or will
have -- and already have all the necessary resources to play sound
already.

And you could add the sound calls to DAPI. No need for an *extra* library
(each .so is an added cost on program load time). Especially if your
library would require loading of libogg, libvorbis and libalsa -- that's
four DSO that would be loaded.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358