A Standard for Thumbnailers

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Tue Jan 9 14:13:48 PST 2007

Steve Frécinaux wrote:
>> BTW: I fail to see the problem here. How often do people regenerate
>> thumbnails that +1 or 2 seconds for 40 JPEGs makes a difference?
>
> It's important because it gives an impression of slowness and
> unresponsiveness. And you rarely generate them, but you import pictures
> from digital cameras rather often.

Here the I/O is definitely the limiting factor from my experience.
Accessing data on digital cameras is very slow with the models I've tested.

> As a side note, the whole IO thing is said faster on linux than on
> windows (ask git people). I have no clues about it myself but I can
> believe it ;-)

That certainly also depends on the type of disk, the quality of the
driver and the way you are accessing the data stored on the disk. So
don't trust anyone who's trying to tell you "the whole I/O thing" would
be faster on OS A compared to OS B. That's just marketing... may be
related to the fact that Linux is the platform #1 for git? ;-)

Benedikt