Simple search API proposal, take 2

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 05:25:03 PST 2007

2007/1/10, Flavio Oliveira <flavyobr at yahoo.com.br>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a photo organizer in my desktop, and I would like to share the same pictures with other application.
> Therefore, I don't want to *import* media, I just want to have a reference, rather than as a duplicate store.
> A good workflow here would be to have one massive library with all of the data and use its native searching
> system to focus in on the specific data being sought. If the picture was renamed, removed or moved, the reference
> in database could be updated with that information ... something like a RDF container or a small database.
> The Search engine just look for that information in a common database.
>
> Br, Flavio

Well, this is exactly the case of the desktop indexers we target with
this spec (Beagle, Tracker, Strigi, Pinot, Recoll et. al.) :-)

None of them plays the role of a "storage" (you have the possiblity to
store stuff in Tracker though (and maybe also in some of the
others..?), but it is by no means a requirement).

When we have search api+specs in place we weill look at a metadata storage spec.

Cheers,
Mikkel