RFC - a casual sound API on fd.o?

Stefan.Kost at nokia.com Stefan.Kost at nokia.com
Wed Jan 10 06:13:25 PST 2007

hi,

<snip>
>I see three kinds of audio events, in my small view of the world:
>1) notifications (reactions to user input or other events)
>2) sound tracks from games or websites
>3) complex audio output stemming from multimedia players
>(sometimes requiring video synchronisation)

Thats a good classification!

>#1 is definitely libnotify's job. #3 is definitely not and
>also definitely not your job either. So we end up with #2: do
>we need an extra library/framework/API for doing that or can
>we simply fold back the necessary features into something close?

Yes libnotify should be the gateway to receive notification events. But can't it use the sound api marc-andre proposes to delegate the playback. This way it does not need to worry about the sounds backend to use.

>Sorry to say, but it seems to me that you're reinventing the
>wheel here.
>Notification and PortMusic (as well as Phonon, but that's not
>cross-desktop) are very close to your goal already.
>
>One more thing: have you verified if there is a demand for
>this kind of API on a cross-desktop basis? I know you're
>worried about the state of the GNOME API (you said so), but if
>this is restricted to GNOME, it might be better to fix there.

I think there is. Phonon seems to target something from class 2 and a bit of class 3, but its KDE centric (which is okay). So it can help apps, that just look for a simple audio api.

>--
>  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira.info - thiago (AT) kde.org
>    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
>    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Stefan