Simple search API proposal, take 2

Fabrice Colin fabrice.colin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 21:06:13 PST 2007

On 1/10/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been general good feedback on Magnus proposal, so I updated
> the wiki: http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiSearchSimple

A few questions and comments about this :

- ShowConfiguration
>       Open a graphical interface for configuring the search tool.
Is it safe to assume that because this method was called on the session bus
that a graphical display is available ?

- Query
>       Start a new query.
I agree with Joe that a method to explicitly release the handle would be good.

- GetHitProperties
> URIs and snippets are just properties.
That's fine.

> properties: A list of properties to return. An empty list is a request for all
> properties.
What properties should be supported by all implementations ? I'd suggest
at least "title", "size", "uri", "mimetype" and "snippet".

> response: A map mapping object_identifiers to a maps of property-list of
> values pairs.
How is the object_identifier useful to the client application considering that
it's not required as input by any of the API's methods ?

- concepts
> This identifier is a string and will not change if the object is "moved"
> (think: if a file is moved).
What if the object no longer matches the query after being moved ? e.g. if
the object matched the query because of its name and it was renamed, or if
the query included a directory filter and the object was moved to another
directory...
I would prefer that hits were those documents that matched the query
whenever it was run, so that the end user never sees bogus hits. Of course,
he might see hits for documents that no longer exist :-)

Cheers.

Fabrice