xdg-utils xdg-icon-resource's destination icon name

Daniel Yek dyek at real.com
Wed Jan 17 15:35:06 PST 2007

Thanks Waldo, for the explanation. Now, I understand the rational behind it
and can accept it easier.

Would the original authors or someone else document the rational or
guidelines to effectively use the scripts so that developers don't have to
rediscover everything over and over again or even worse, change (fix) the
scripts and bundle them with their software?

I would appreciate that a lot.

Another example of a usage problem with xdg-utils scripts is that the
xdg-desktop-icon would install an icon on root user's desktop as opposed to
the user's desktop when a software package is installed as root. Well, I
later figured that I shouldn't be using the script during installation
anyway, even if the behavior is what I expected it to be (which is a
system-wide desktop icon), because installing icons on desktop seems to be
frowned upon. But document for these gotcha would make the utilities much
friendlier to use.

By the way, thanks the Portland Project for the scripts.

--
Daniel Yek