Scanner infrastructure in freedesktop

Donald Straney burntfuse at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 08:20:17 PST 2007

> There is no concept of "stream" or wathever you call a list of images in
> SANE. SANE allow to retrieve a frame, and that's all. No need for
> further. That's up to the frontend.

I meant that the frontend would have to take the separate frames and
put them together into a video stream.  Sorry, should've been clearer
about that.

> SANE have a (not well tested) V4L backend. That's not a bad idea to add
> a V4L2 backend. It allow to use a V4L device as a scanner. No need to
> rewrite driver.

Right, I had forgotten about that.  I guess I'd still like to see the
scanner/camera driver models merged if not the API (preferrably in the
kernel so udev can handle the hotplugging and driver detection), but
it's at least tolerable this way.

Anyways, the source for the test daemon is attached, and info's in the
README.  I have to admit that I don't have any SANE-compatible
devices, so I can't be 100% sure it actually will go through a full
scan.  It works on FC5, please tell me if it doesn't compile or
doesn't run.

Donald Straney