Icon Naming: animations/process-working, & animations/process-idle

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jul 4 00:54:25 PDT 2007

I note that the Icon Naming spec includes:

	animations/process-idle
	animations/process-working

With KDE, these would replace the multiple image PNG called:
actions/kde.  With cross platform themes and icon naming, this raised
the question of whether this icon should incorporate branding as has
been traditional in browsers.  I don't think that it would be
satisfactory to see a branded icon in another brand of application.

So, my recommendation is that we should have generic versions of these
two icons with the above names as well as:

	animations/process-idle-<brand>
	animations/process-working-<brand>

so that KDE would have:

	animations/process-idle-kde
	animations/process-working-kde

which would only be used for KDE applications (e.g. Konqueror) and there
would be a fall back to the generic icons:

	animations/process-idle
	animations/process-working

when the branded one wasn't available in the chosen icon style.  IIUC,
this would be consistent with the Icon Naming spec.

Comments?

--
JRT