[kde-artists] Icon Naming: animations/process-working, & animations/process-idle

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 12 11:38:55 PDT 2007

Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 19:27 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> You are correct that it isn't in the spec (yet?).  It is in the Tango
>> icons.  Part of the problem, I guess.  Tango and the Icon Naming spec
>> aren't 100% the same.
>
> The reason for tango icon theme shipping process-idle is due to the
> current implementation in gnome software (nautilus mainly).
>
> The way it's defined in the naming spec was I believe the way it was
> implemented in KDE at that time. Maybe it was a bad idea to go for a
> workaround on our part (tango, gnome icon themes).

I realize that this is very confusing.  However, the situation is that
KDE has never used a *different* idle frame like Firefox does.  KDE just
has a loop animation which are all equal steps in a sequence.  It does
stop on the top one.  OTOH, Firefox currently works the way the Tango
icons do.  There is a single frame for idle and a multiple frame file
for the animation -- when it stops, it doesn't just stop on one of the
frames in the sequence, it switches to the idle frame which is quite
different.

So, as it stands now, the system that Tango has with two files would
work OK with KDE since current code could just ignore the idle frame.

--
JRT