[kde-artists] Icon Naming: animations/process-working, & animations/process-idle

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:57:10 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 11:38 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Jakub Steiner wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 19:27 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >
> >> You are correct that it isn't in the spec (yet?).  It is in the Tango
> >> icons.  Part of the problem, I guess.  Tango and the Icon Naming spec
> >> aren't 100% the same.
> >
> > The reason for tango icon theme shipping process-idle is due to the
> > current implementation in gnome software (nautilus mainly).
> >
> > The way it's defined in the naming spec was I believe the way it was
> > implemented in KDE at that time. Maybe it was a bad idea to go for a
> > workaround on our part (tango, gnome icon themes).
>
> I realize that this is very confusing.  However, the situation is that
> KDE has never used a *different* idle frame like Firefox does.  KDE just
> has a loop animation which are all equal steps in a sequence.  It does
> stop on the top one.  OTOH, Firefox currently works the way the Tango
> icons do.  There is a single frame for idle and a multiple frame file
> for the animation -- when it stops, it doesn't just stop on one of the
> frames in the sequence, it switches to the idle frame which is quite
> different.
>
> So, as it stands now, the system that Tango has with two files would
> work OK with KDE since current code could just ignore the idle frame.

The process-working/idle icons in Tango are wrong. The process-idle
image should be the first frame from process-working. In Tango, this is
not the case, due to the design of the spinner. In gnome-icon-theme,
this is the case. I had no knowledge of how Firefox does the spinner
image, when writing the specification. It is irrelevant to the spec.

I wrote the spec for this, such that the solution would work best for
both GNOME and KDE. As it stands, tango-icon-theme has a bug in this
regard. The spinner in Tango needs to be redesigned to work such that
process-idle is the first frame of the process-working image.

-- dobey