emblem-symbolic-link

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Jul 15 18:16:11 PDT 2007

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> This: "emblem-symbolic-link" appears to be another issue.
>
> I think that this should be:
>
> 	emblem-link-symbolic
>
> or it could be:
>
> 	emblem-symbolic_link
>
> but there is no way that "link" is a member of "symbolic".  OTOH, there
> are multiple types of "link".  IIUC, Linux has 'symbolic' and 'hard' links.

Well, hard links can't be distinguished from normal files.  They *are*
just normal files.  A hard link is simply a directory entry pointing to
a particular inode.  When we talk about 'hard linking' we usually mean
that we've created a new link to an existing inode, but, post-link,
there's no way to tell which directory entry was the 'original' and
which is the 'copy'.

	-brian