[XESAM] API simplification?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:28:38 PDT 2007

Hi again,

I have a few suggestions for updates to the xesam search spec.

* API:
Remove the session properties search.blocking and search.live. These seemed
to cause more confusion than I anticipated. These can be emulated in the
client side lib as far as my scribblings can tell. Anoter solution might
just be better documentation of course...

Some of you now have actual experience with these, what is your feel?

The reason for having these properties in the first place was to allow
easier usage of the dbus interface directly - ie not via a client lib.

What this would mean for the api methods:
 * GetHits should always block until the requested number of hits has been
found or the entire index has been searched (in which case the SearchDone
signal will be emitted too).
 * CountHits should always block until the entire index has been searched
 * No other methods should block

* Query Language:
I suggest we remove the "type" attributeon the query element. You can just
specify the Category- or StoredAs fields in you selectors.

Speak up. Cheers,
Mikkel