[XESAM] Moving business elsewhere?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 04:20:32 PDT 2007

2007/6/10, Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:

> 2007/6/10, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:
> > Hi Xesames and xdg subscribers,
> >
> > Our project creation request[1] has been stalled for almost four months
> now.
> > I really don't think we can keep on abusing the xdg list anymore, and as
> it
> > appears we are not going to get a xesam at freedesktop.org list I think we
> have
> > to move our business elsewhere if something doesn't happen really soon
> (like
> > in the coming week).
> >
> > We have multiple other needs like a shared version control system, a
> > website, a wiki, and a bug tracker.
> >
> > I have bought http://xesam.org and we can have hosting there as well.
> > Whether or not we will actually use xesam.org as the host or just as a
> link
> > is open for discussion. Google groups have grown popular recently and
> > Canonicals Launchpad is not a bad product either.
> >
> > I don't know if this should be reflected in our namespacing. We have
> dbus
> > paths and xml namespaces to think about. I would not like to point an
> xml
> > namespace at some place where we cannot put something, on the other hand
> > would hate to strip the org.freedesktop from our dbus paths, I would
> hate it
> > even more if we used intermixed namespacing of xesam.org and
> > xesam.freedesktop.org.
> >
> > Anyways, comments welcome. A swift resultion of bug 10114 is even more
> > welcome.
>
> I really think we should escalate this. fd.o is the place for this
> stuff. If they are so *** lame, somebody should have his butt kicked.
> How hard is it to set up a mailinglist  + svn?

Let's not make this a shouting contest :-)

I don't think that anyone find it hard to create the new project, but just
that everyone is tied on all fronts. That just doesn't cut it for the
various related projects that have started to block on this of course. We
need a resolution, and we need it fast.

Maybe we can keep everything in xesam.freedesktop.org namespace and just use
xesam.org for hosting right now. It would be required that all http queries
on xesam.freedesktoo.org was forwarded to xesam.org, but that is probably
just as time-consuming as creating the xesam project in the first place...

Cheers,
Mikkel