[Xesam] Ontology snapshot

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 13:01:54 PDT 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 19:15:01 Antoni Mylka wrote:
> Evgeny Egorochkin pisze:
> > I'm still trying to come up with a good case where we would need extra
> > interpretations.
>
> Please do. It could be possible to use composition instead of
> instantiation to express the interpretation. (DataObject
> hasInterpretation InformationElement). This would make many things more
> complicated though, and will probably not meet the constraints you set
> for xesam (One Source, one Content)...

For xesam this is out of question.

> > Cases to consider: Trash (a folder with files and also trash container),
> > Video DVD(a complex media container vs filesystem).
>
> This is tricky indeed...
>
> As far as I know typical DVD movies don't have data, so they can
> unambigously be interpreted as a media container, which contains media
> stream that is interpreted as audio/video etc... A normal data DVD will
> be interpreted as a filesystem.
>
> The problem arises with hybrid CD's (those that have data AND audio
> tracks). I haven't seen a hybrid DVD (are there any?).

It is definitely possible to add unrelated stuff to a regular DVD.

> The question is
> if this is enough to change the most fundamental design assumption of
> the entire ontology, just to cover this case...
>
> I'd say no. We could say:
>
> RemoveableMedium is interpreted as a MediaContainer which contains:
>       MediaStream interpreted as Audio
>       MediaStream interpreted as Video
>       MediaStream interpreted as Filesystem
>
> and all problems go away...

You are right. Something to that effect would solve the problem.
For DVD and CD it would probably be sufficient.

Trash is usully used only as trash. Nobody cares how it works inside.
DVD video is the same. Nobody cares how it works inside so all files related
to the video, can be considered a single media container. The rest belong to
filesystem.

I think "opportunistic" interpretations like treating text as audio are out of
question?

> But... if we find more cases then we'll need to reconsider.

Will keep an eye on it.

We should take this discussion off the list I think.

-- Evgeny