couple questions about menu spec

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue Jun 12 11:39:14 PDT 2007

> If the .desktop is installed on an older Gnome system that didn't
support > Science as a main category it would get dumped into "Other"

Yes, that was the intention of the spec, unfortunately that doesn't work
on any of the Redhat distributions. I notice that it does work if you
add the undocumented category "Application" so I guess it would work to
make a Science a main category with the additional requirement that
applications must also provide "Application" as category. Feel free to
send a patch against
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.xml to the list
for review.

Cheers,
Waldo

Intel Corporation - Platform Software Engineering, UMG - Hillsboro,
Oregon