xdg-utils xdg-icon-resource's destination icon name

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jun 18 11:48:08 PDT 2007

Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On 6/18/07, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:
>> or that the DeskTop supplies an icon for that MIME type in the
>> HiColor theme.
>>
>> It is this last case that is the problem and it does need to be
>> solved.
>
> There is nothing to be solved.

You are partially correct that there currently isn't an issue.  I have
clearly stated this elsewhere.

> Desktop icon themes do not put anything inside hicolor

Obviously, themes other than HiColor do not install any icons in HiColor.

KDE installs a lot of icons as HiColor.  Perhaps you are thinking of
GNOME.  There is nothing in the standard that states that icons
shouldn't be installed as HiColor.

> and applications adopted a common practice of prefixing icon names
> with own package name (like fooapp-baricon.svg).

And stated that *currently* the icons of different desktop are isolated
from each other because they use different icon names for the same icon
function.  Yes, GNOME currently prefixes their icons with "gnome" but
KDE does not do this.

IIUC, we are currently working on an icon naming standard:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html

KDE will use this standard for the icon names in KDE4.  I don't know
what GNOME's plans are.  When both KDE and GNOME use the same set of
icon names, the desktop icons will no longer be isolated from each other
by means of the icon names.  It seems obvious that users wanting a
consistent appearance for their desktop will choose to use the same icon
theme for KDE and GTK applications.  It is then that there will be
issues.  Those are the issues that need to be solved.

--
JRT