[XESAM] Ontology sketch. Feedback needed. This time with attachment.

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Fri Jun 1 02:42:46 PDT 2007

It was Evgeny Egorochkin who said at the right time 01.06.2007 11:31 the
following words:
> On Friday 01 June 2007 11:16:55 Leo Sauermann wrote:
>
>> It was Evgeny Egorochkin who said at the right time 31.05.2007 16:40 the
>>
>> following words:

>>> The workaround is to specify an URI as a literal and hope software
>>> understands this in cases like linking archive contents.
>>>
>> I miss the whole discussion, but RDF objects in statements are either
>> literal, blank nodes, or URIs.
>> like this (turtle syntax):
>> <file://home/dirk/blub.txt> nie:myExampleUri <http://exampleuri>.
>> <file://home/dirk/blub.txt> nie:myExampleString "Unterzögersdorf".
>>

> Yes, but xesam decided to limit objects to literals only(as well as other
> limitations) and lift them only if it is necessary.
>
> That is xesam is fully RDFS-compliant, yet we implement the smallest necessary
> subset of it for performance, coding complexity and other considerations.

you need datatypes for String, boolean, DateTime and Float anyway,
adding URL won't hurt much.

btw, to throw them in here, perhaps somebody needs them
here are the links to the relevant other standards, I am currently
writing a document for something else and gathered them. They use
string, boolean, datatime, float.

 http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/MDImporters/Concepts/WritingAnImp.html
the typical example of implementing a spotlight extension is writing a
file importer.

[1]
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/index.html
Possible standard values for indexed documents in spotlight.

[1] http://desktop.google.com/dev/indexapi.html#eventschemas The
metadata schemas for google desktop. Similar ideas as the OS vendors
formats.

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms692560.aspx Basic
examples of Microsoft Indexing Service’s properties.

best
Leo

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313