[Proposal] Meta themes spec.

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at gnome.org
Mon Jun 11 13:26:56 PDT 2007

2007/6/11, Thomas Wood <thos at gnome.org>:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Regarding your Metathemes proposal, it all sounds good and
> similar to what we basically have in GNOME already. However, in GNOME
> we use a .desktop style file to describe what the package contains.
> Currently this can be any combination of icon, gtk+, metacity themes,
> and a gtk+ colour scheme string. It can also indicate font names and
> sizes, and a wallpaper (although in the theme manager, these are only
> implemented as "suggestions"). The data for the themes are then kept in
> specified directories within the archive. For the most part, this also
> means that simply extracting the archive to ~/.themes should be
> sufficient to install it.
>
> GNOME has recently introduced a custom mime type to allow easier
> installation of theme packages. However, it has not yet achieved wide
> spread adoption and I think there would be little opposition to
> replacing it with a freedesktop.org specification.
>
> I would be happy to help out with the creation and adoption of a
> freedesktop.org specification for these types of archives.

I did the job to create the new MIME, and I don't have any opposition at
all. In fact, I tried to start a thread like this before I started the gnome
implementation. I think that define a standard MIME for theme package could
be a good start, and from there, start working on how different theme
elements can be together inside this MIME type.

In fact, create a new one should be as easy as rename the current .gtp
(Gnome theme package) to .dtp (desktop theme pacakge) or something like
that, any comments?

Regards,

> Thomas

Un saludo,