Desktop Entry patches and clarifications

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Sun Mar 11 09:18:00 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've been working on updating desktop-file-utils for the latest
changes in the desktop entry spec. While doing this, I found that there
are still some issues with the spec.

Here are some patches:

 + trailing-semicolon.patch: clarify that lists should always end with a
   semicolon, even if there's only one value. This is currently
   ambiguous in the spec.

 + unmounticon.patch: UnmountIcon is a localestring key

 + version-string.patch: this changes the type of the version from
   numeric to string. It's needed if we consider the possibility that
   there are some desktop entry files out there using 0.9.x as a value
   for this key. The change doesn't break anything.

 + typo.patch: small typo

 + context.patch: clarify a bit the text about keys that only makes
   sense in a specific context. Also, state that the keys should not be
   used outside of this context. For example, the URL key should not be
   present if the type is not Link.

 + directory.patch: desktop files of type Directory have a .directory
   extension right now (at least in GNOME), but according to the spec,
   this is wrong. The patch fixes this. Also, it removes a small part of
   text explaining the name of a desktop file describing a directory.
   (see also below)

 + required-in-context.patch: IMHO, a desktop file of type Application
   should always have an Exec key. Same for Link Type and URL key. This
   patch changes this.

And now, some issues that we should fix :-)

 + with trailing-semicolon.patch, a string list key with an empty value
   should have ";" for the value. I guess this is broken, right? :-)

 + we never explain what the various types mean. The spec should do
   that. It's also where we can put back what I removed about the
   .directory name in directory.patch.

 + there are some issues with backslash escaping. How should \j be
   handled? Should this only be considered as 'j'? It probably should
   since the backslash has to be escaped with a backslash.
   Or maybe I'm reading it wrong and \\ means a backslash, but a single
   \ also means a backslash?

 + "The %F and %U field codes may only be used as an argument on their
    own."
   I'm not sure about the "on their own". Does it mean that
   Exec=ooffice -math %U
   is invalid? (that's how I understand the current text). I have many
   desktop files here with similar exec lines.

 + "The executable program can either be specified with its full path or
    with the name of the executable only."
  If I install a file in /usr/bin/subdir/mybinary, then I can't put only
  "subdir/mybinary" in Exec.  I believe the intent is to no have ".."
  and ".", but this is a bit more restrictive.
  (I didn't check if calling execlp with "subdir/mybinary" works, if it
  doesn't then we can safely ignore this comment)

Thanks,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.