[Wasabi] Project renaming

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:32:32 PDT 2007

2007/3/17, jamie <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk>:

> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 00:23 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
>

> > The goal of the Wasabi - or xesam project is to be an umbrella project
> > for things related to search and metadata specs. For example the
> > metadata field name spec is not related to searching in the strict
> > sense. Also stuff like tagging/emblems might fall partly under the
> > xesam umbrella.
> >
> > What we have done until now is work on the "xesam search
> > specification", what we have slowly started is the "xesam metadata
> > spec", with time and if it falls naturally there might be something on
> > tagging/emblems too. The "flagship product" will likely be the search
> > spec though, but other things might benefit from being in a consistent
> > spec where it fits naturally into the context of the other related
> > specs.
> >

> is that name final then?
>
> Xesam just seems less memorable and less pronounceable than wasabi.
>
> (It fails to roll off the tongue if you see what I mean.)
>
> How about name of a famous tracker/hunter -  maybe "geronimo"?

http://geronimo.apache.org/

It was actually deliberate to pick a less "bling" name. After all the name
of the spec is not what people should remember. It is the apps implementing
them!

In the end I think we will all learn to live with the great loss of the
Wasabi name :-) xesam is like the new pair of shoes you buy right after your
favorite pair falls completely apart :-) - perfectly fine, but not quite the
old ones.

Cheers,
Mikkel