org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Mar 21 10:27:44 PDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 09:50:20PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I want to restart discussion on the previously discussed session power
> management interface: org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

instead of restarting it you might want to choose to continue it - that
would save us some time. ;)

you can start by processing that one:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-June/008202.html

in particular, your proposal is missing a way to express "you would be
allowed to shutdown/... if you proved to be in an authorized group
first". of course this example is a bit narrow-minded, but you get the
idea.

> The inhibit stuff, the statistics stuff (and any other crazy random
> stuff) can wait until later, I would really like to standardize on
> something, so we can get some sort of standard sorted.

that's as wrong as it can get. you don't create apis which you know
might become obsolete in the next extension cycle. even if you don't
want to finalize the bells and whistles yet, you should at least develop
a concept how to do it in a nice, consistent way.