org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Mar 21 12:02:49 PDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 05:56:33PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 18:27 +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > your proposal is missing a way to express "you would be
> > allowed to shutdown/... if you proved to be in an authorized group
> > first". of course this example is a bit narrow-minded, but you get the
> > idea.
>
> Well, it's up to the implementer of the API and the platform to define
> what conditions and precise stuff mean that a user is able to suspend.

that's not the point. i was talking about privilege elevation through a
password dialog and similar.
generalizing it, a simple "may/may not" answer might be insufficient, as
the user might be able to change the situation.

> This sort of thing is traditionally really difficult to standardize on,
> and I don't want to make the job harder than it needs to be.

well, yes. but if you standardise something for which my only option is
to ignore it, you have gained nothing.

> > even if you don't want to finalize the bells and whistles yet, you
> > should at least develop a concept how to do it in a nice, consistent
> > way.
>
> Well, I really don't want to make a huge unwieldy specification that
> nobody is going to use.

then don't make it complicated. provide a series of hooks (through
attribute lists and similar) that allow communicating with a policy
framework.

> I also think it's quite important to keep the difference between a
> screensaver with idle detection, console detection, and power
> management user interaction for the sake of defining an API.

i'm not that sure, obviously. they all meet at the mechanism to
implement a policy. it seems silly to me to have a common policy
framework in the deamons implementing the various power-related
functions and on the client side glue code that brings together the
policies of the separate apis again (it has to be presented to the user
in a coherent way).