org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Mar 21 15:54:19 PDT 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:53:17 +0000 Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> babbled:

> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 21:19 +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > >
> > > That's not the job of a session power management interface. You're not
> > > going to present to the user:
> > >
> > > ===== Suspend ======
> > > You have not got the permissions to suspend
> > > Enter root password: [_______________]
> > >
> > actually, i *am* going to. the login managers (can) do the same for
> > complete shutdown, so there is no reason not to do so for "partial"
> > shutdown (which also suspends network services, etc.).
>
> No offense intended, but I think this is really crazy.

agreed. the admin (or distribution setup) should set the policy - can normal
users at the console shutdown, reboot, suspend etc. for "desktop distros" this
will likely be turned on by default. i see no point in exposing the need to
enter authentication to do such a basic thing that the vast majority of users
will simply EXPECT to be able to do with THEIR desktop. as below - they can
just yank the power cord and cause much more damage instead.