org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 06:21:01 PDT 2007

On 22/03/07, Rob Taylor <rob.taylor at codethink.co.uk> wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 15:58 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >> Though dbus does allow you to do these async (fire them all off then
> >> wait for all results), which I would recommend for anything an app is
> >> doing at startup, even though it's sort of painful. Assuming most
> >> apps
> >> will be doing a variety of calls on startup it probably will speed up
> >> app launch if say 20-30 round trips are all done async instead of
> >> with
> >> blocking round trips in serial.
> >
> > Sure, agree.
>
> Umm, i was actually talking about context switches, nothing to do with
> async versus sync. I'd expect an app to do async calls on startup.
> I guess its theoretically possible at the libdbus level to queue up a
> number of messages and do one context switch to send them all...

Gotcha. What about doing both?

We keep the CanSuspend for the trivial desktop case, and also provide
a GetCapabilities method that returns a bitfield for embedded use, or
for languages like python that can unwrap a bitfield easily.

It's one extra method, and one extra signal, so it's hardly much API
duplication.

Richard.