org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Danny Kukawka dkukawka at suse.de
Tue Mar 27 03:43:33 PDT 2007

On Dienstag, 27. März 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've been discussing this on my blog,
> http://hughsient.livejournal.com/19786.html and have come up with a
> *DRAFT* specification here:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/power-management-spec-0.1.html

Some other things from the draft:

> Standby is the action where the CPU is held in a low power state but no data
> is saved to RAM or hard disk.

You can't say clearly IIRC if something get saved to RAM, because this get
normaly handled by the bios and depend on the bios implementation. I have
seen machines which show the same behavior on Standby as on suspend-to-ram.

> Standard Nomenclature
> This section describes the standard nomenclature that should be used by
> programmers when implementing the Power Management Specification.

> Standby

If you provide information about Standby, why are there no functions on the
interface to call Standby (Standby/CanStandby/CanStandbyChanged/)? I know HAL
don't provide a interface by default, but there are (maybe old) machines
which support no suspend-to-ram but work with Standby.

Danny
--
Danny Kukawka
dkukawka at suse.de
Mobile Devices
SUSE LINUX a Novell Business
Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany