org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:30:00 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 00:25 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> People want to disable gnome power manager on usual desktop systems.

I would disagree with this quite strongly. g-p-m on a desktop loads
hardly any modules at runtime (less CPU and memory use) but still
controls DPMS and Inhibit control.

Lots of desktops suspend and hibernate. I've never told anyone to
disable g-p-m on a desktop on a desktop...

> > I think if KDE doesn't ship with kpowersave (or something else), you
> > want to tell the KDE people to at least provide _something_? Ditto
> for
> > other desktop environments. The desktop in question may choose to
> punt
> > this to the distribution.
>
> Yes, and I'm arguing that if for whatever reason, one doesn't like to
> ship
> or use "something", you still should have Shutdown() and Reboot(). So
> these two methods should not depend on a power management interface.

We shouldn't provide two different ways of doing two very similar
things. An ISV just want a ticky box "shutdown" that can do something
trivial, just like they can do on Windows; ISV's shouldn't be calling
into gnome-settings-daemon or to something else via DCOP.

Richard.