org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Danny Kukawka dkukawka at suse.de
Fri Mar 30 02:44:54 PDT 2007

On Freitag, 30. März 2007, Holger Macht wrote:
> > Think of the vendors. I really want people to use a dbus interface where
> > we can do clever things and talk to the session in an abstract way,
> > rather than just having scripts calling /sbin/shutdown
>
> You are completely right. I'm not involved enough in the desktop to tell
> if there are any efforts to standardize Shutdown(). But if there are not,
> someone should start doing it.

But then the desktop should provide such a DBus interface and not the
powermanager.

IMO it make no sense that KPowersave or any other powermanager on the desktop
are only proxies to the real shutdown method of the desktop. This would allow
for example KPowersave (or any other tool) to get start under gnome and
shutdown the session if needed without to know the prefered method under
GNOME or KDE or XFCE.

Danny