org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Fri Mar 30 04:13:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:52 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:

> > > That's not the point. There are systems, preferably desktop systems, which
> > > run KDE or GNOME but still don't want to run g-p-m or kpowersave. Ideally,
> > > on those systems, the user never ever gets to see g-p-m or kpowersave. But
> > > they still want to use applications which make use of Shutdown() or
> > > Reboot(). And there are plenty of use cases, for instance decoding a video
> > > file which lasts several hours and having a checkbox like...
> > >
> > >   [x] Shutdown system when job is done
> >
> > That's a really good use case for Shutdown() FWIW - Richard, can you add
> > this to the spec? Thanks.
> >
> > Anyway, at the end of the day it's up to the distros / users. The only
> > thing we can do here at xdg-list is to strongly recommend that every OS
> > provides the org.fd.PM interface for every desktop environment it ships.
> > Even if they do that, users may rip it out themselves. That's just the
> > nature of an open system.
>
> I don't why it's only me seeing the problem here? You want to have
> Shutdown() and Reboot() on _every_ system, but not mandatory the other
> methods. If you don't have a pm application providing "the other" methods,
> you need to implement them somewhere else to meet the spec's
> requirements. And that seems wrong to me. If you need to implement them a
> second time, you could do it right at the one place where you need them
> compulsory, the desktop base. You won't need a pm app then.

in an ideal world, freedesktop would provide not only the spec, but a
good and clean base implementation, so every free desktop would just
need to use that implementation.

But yeah, no ideal world, so I get your point, this forces other
desktops to do their own implementation just to provide Shutdown and
Reboot.

Not sure how we could solve this without sharing an implementation,
really.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>