No subject

Wed May 9 07:07:01 PDT 2007

vfolder menu system and how it works.  'Science' is a keyword and not user
visible.  It needs to work in ALL countries not just english speaking ones.
We could have named it HHGJFUUUDE, but using the english word seems
appropriate.

As standard usage is by all accounts to include Mathematics in Science (using
the standard definition of science here since it's not ... NOT user visible),
then it seems like a good idea to have the Science keyword for all
Mathematics tagged software.

If some distribution, sysadmin, user, desktop environment or whoever is
creating the vfolder info file decides that 'Science' is for some reason
confusing as a name for a folder that queries the 'Science' keyword, then
they can name that folder 'Science & Mathematics' or whateer they wish.
Or they can create a new toplevel folder which they would call 'Mathematics'
and query for 'Mathematics' there and in their 'Science' folder they would
query for 'Science & NOT Mathematics', or some other combination of that.

So perhaps to clear this up, the spec should be appended to have a blurb next
to the 'Science' keyword that this in fact includes Mathematics.

So unless a good case can be made that the vast majority of THE ENTIRE WORLD
(not just US) regards Mathematics as separate from Science, then english
speakers that do consider this their common usage will just be at a
disadvantage for creating vfolder info files by hand.  But just like czech
speakers are at a disadvantage when coding C because C syntax uses english,
and in fact some words mean slightly different things in C and english, this
does not seem to make czechs worse or better C programmers.

So, if you do wish to make sure that the 'Science' folder is called 'Science
& Mathematics' then take it up with the vfolder info file distributors, but
that does not affect the spec at all.

George

To end this thread in usenet tradition I will now call myself a 'logic nazi'.
Actually I think that it doesn't work if I insult myslf.  So you are all
nazis and Polpot was a harmless tree hugging hippie compared to the likes of
you.  Thus endeth the thread unless someone has better arguments then 'google
gives me 4 million pages when I type in random words'.

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   In the fight between you and the world, back the world.