[XESAM] Minutes of meeting 2007-05-15

jamie jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 17 13:20:18 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 16:01 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/16/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > MEETING:
> >  * It was proposed that we had a platform independent libxesam with the core
> > non-dbus related utilities such as query parsing and query construction. It
> > was the general consensus that the time wasn't right. It might be good to
> > have one, but we should wait and reconsider this when the spec was set was
> > more mature. Toolkit specific libs abstracting away dbus and other evils
> > should be provided at some point though.
>
> Much more important at this point is a conformance test for things
> that will likely be implemented differently by each project but
> attempt to achieve the same thing.  The query language is one that
> comes immediately to mind.  There are surely others.
>
> >  * We reopened the services/types/categories debate, and quickly settled on
> > the name categories to avoid confusing the word "type" from field types.
> > Example categories are Video, Audio, Email, Contacts, etc.
>
> In Beagle we have 3 different "types":
>
> * MIME type: This is obvious.
>
> * Hit type: This is a little more general than the categories you
> listed.  These are things like "File", "IMLog", "Contact", "Calendar",
> "MailMessage", "Note", "Bookmark", "Task", etc.  They are fairly
> general, but aren't necessarily tied to a single backend or file type.
>
> * File type: Basically categories as you've described them: Document,
> Video, Archive, Mail, etc.

in tracker (and I believe nepomuk) the "type" is hierarchical (single
inheritance in trackers case and multiple in nepomuks!!!)

EG "Video" would be a subclass of "File" and "Web Bookmark" a subclass
of "Bookmark" etc (this is the rdf or triple store way of doing things)

I think in your case Hit type are the top level parents and File type are the children?

jamie