[XESAM] Minutes of meeting 2007-05-15

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Thu May 17 23:17:55 PDT 2007

2007/5/17, Joe Shaw <joe at joeshaw.org>:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/17/07, jamie <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > EG "Video" would be a subclass of "File" and "Web Bookmark" a subclass
> > of "Bookmark" etc (this is the rdf or triple store way of doing things)
> >
> > I think in your case Hit type are the top level parents and File type
> are the children?
>
> Not really, because the two things are complimentary.  "Video" does
> *not* imply "File", because it could be "MailAttachment".
>
> I forgot to mention in my last email that some results don't have a
> file type.  A document with hit type "Contact" has no file type
> because that doesn't make sense (and setting to also be "Contact"
> would be pointless).

Ok, so taking a conrete case, a "document" file type with hit type "contact"
could be a vcard stored somewhere on disk?

It took my a sec to grok the distinction between hit type and file type. If
I understand correctly hit type could also be called "present as", and yes
present-as and file-type are independent the way you describe it. However
this is not the way I would abstract things. I think a category tree like
http://www.grillbar.org/xesam/object-graph.png would be more natural. In
this way both MailAttachment and files in a tarball are both EmbeddedObjects
in a natural way.

Cheers,
Mikkel