[XESAM] Minutes of meeting 2007-05-15

Joe Shaw joe at joeshaw.org
Sat May 19 08:53:38 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 5/19/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would the HitType/FileType structure of Beagle not be implicit with a
> Category structure like this:
> http://www.grillbar.org/xesam/object-tree.png (this is not
> the old example again)? Especially if you couple this with a Field->Category
> map (such that, fx, only Objects of category File has the ExactFileName
> field set) like the Strigi/Nepomuk camp want. Atleast it seem to cover the
> examples so far.

Where does an audio email attachment fall in here?  If being a
subclass of "File" implies an ExactFilename property, this doesn't
work.

The one thing I've learned while doing Beagle is to stop thinking in
terms of files.  Think of everything else first: emails, email
attachments, contacts from a server like EDS or Gmail, calendar items,
IM conversations -- some of these things don't have any backing store
locally.  Then, think about all the possible contents of these items.
They are distinctly different concepts.

Joe