[XESAM] New meeting, date+time proposals please

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Mon May 21 05:31:25 PDT 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007 12:42:25 Sebastian Trüg wrote:

> > > I think we agree here :-) I might have been unclear. What I meant is
> > > that xesam should not necessarily be interoperable with any old
> > > ontology off the web. Priority ones like EXIF and such is another case
> > > that I do think we should expose/consume/embed/extend (/me don't
> > > consider DC an ontology). We should be interoperable with
> > > desktop-related widespread standards IMHO, but these should be nailed
> > > down before hand.

> > > Oh, I was not aware of what the Nepomuk needs actually where, but if
> > > they only need a map Nep->Xes then our life is easier :-)
> >
> > I can't really speak for nepomuk, this is my personal POV.
>
> What I think is needed is a mapping that allows nepomuk to reuse xesam
> data. Thus, we need a mapping from the xesam onto to the nepomuk ones, i.e.
> all xesam fields should be mapped to a specific nepomuk field. This allows
> some freedom regarding xesam but the closer the xesam onto is to the
> nepomuk style (inheritance and types and stuff) the easier is the mapping
> and the more data can be reused. Even more so, if the mapping would work
> both ways (at least partially) xesam-aware apps could benefit from
> nepomuk-only data and thus, get better search results.

Nepomuk->Xesam mapping is possible since xesam onto is going to be an order of
magnitude simpler than nepomuk one.

Xesam->Nepomuk would not be a trivial task I'm afraid. Of course it would be
nice to use Xesam as one of data sources for Nepomuk, but it will be at best
incomplete and at worst ambiguous.

There are other reasons why I think multiple-inheritance, types/categories and
category-field links are a must:

*** won't complicate matters(implementation-wise) even for the simplest ones

*** improve ontology readability/comprehensibility for humans

*** provide additional clues to software on how to deal with particular files
or fields.

This is especially useful when dealing with custom extensions. Apps can know
how to deal with standard xesam onto, but *the only description/documentation
of custom extensions by other apps is the onto itself*.

*** Improve extension isolation to avoid interference between many installed
extensions and help maintain ontology structure. e.g. file property/metadata
editors will greatly benefit if the ontology has a structure by understanding
what categories a particular file belongs to, what fields apply etc.

*** we won't have to change spec or resort to ugly workarounds if we ever hit
artifically-imposed limitations like single-inheritance. We can make
decisions for xesam-specific issues, but we can't know for sure what
functionality a particular xesam-aware app will want to implement and whether
devs will appreciate the simplification.

*** allow indexers to expose additional functionality ranging from simple
annotation to complex metadata structures.

*** a well-researched solution with predictable benefits/drawbacks.

--Evgeny