[XESAM] changes in the Xesam XML Query Languae

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon May 21 06:10:54 PDT 2007

2007/5/21, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:

> 2007/5/19, Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was rereading the xesam-query.xsd and have the following remarks about
> > it.
> >
> > - There is no target namespace. This must be fixed before it becomes
> > final.
> > - The attribute 'type' on <query> is redundant since one also use a
> > selection for it.
>

> Why is the type attrib redundant? Fx searching for stuff of type (or
> "category" in our current terminology) Document and Xesam:
> Content.Creator=Jos needs it AFAI can see.
>
> The namespace should be fixed, that is certain. I believe the wiki page
> also state that... It would just be nice to know if we get those project
> pages on fdo or not before we settle on a namespace.
>
> I have some other "diff"-proposals for the search spec somewhere, I'll
> post them in a sec...

Here are my proposed updates to the search spec (in addition to Jos' and
Fabrice's):

1) rename iface to org.freedesktop.xesam.Search (capitalize the last word
"search") according to dbus interface naming conventions

2) spec out that client should take care to close their session objects, but
that it it the servers responsibility to clear them up anyway. This can be
done by logging caller name in NewSession and listening to NameOwnerChanged
on org.freedesktop.DBus on old_name->empty string.

3) Only allow UTF-8 XML in query language

4) There is no way to do the 'w' switch from user search language in xml
query language. I propose to do this via a <string> attribute.

5) And a bigger issue, that is a tough call... Should we use real dbus
objects for sessions/searches? According to Havoc Pennington it doesn't take
a roundtrip to the bus to register a new object, so spawning lots of search
objects shouldn't flood the bus (not with object-registration requests at
least).

Cheers,
Mikkel