[XESAM] Ontology sketch. Feedback needed.

jamie jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 30 14:25:14 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 18:51 +0300, Evgeny Egorochkin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like you to take a look at the ontology sketch
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PhreedomDraft?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=viz.png
>
> It's not complete. Some fields/classes are dropped intentionally.
> I'd like to hear some feedback first.

thanks for this

changes I would like:

1) my pref is for something a bit simpler with a lot of the intermediate
categories removed (IE Visual, Media, Message, Source cats)

2) The category User does not make sense. User metadata should be
applicable to all so best in content if you ask me

3) Content itself seems too file specific to be a top level parent of
all the entities. I think DC and User metadata should be there with
maybe a FileContent object providing more file specific details

4) I dont like using one metadata name for several differing purposes.
EG Email should have an Email.Sender and not a Content.Author (although
Email.Sender can subclass Content.Author or even better DC.Author)

I would like to see DC metadata at the top with it being abstract and
most of the other metadata subclassing it. EG we would have
Document.Author subclassing Dc.Creator etc.

Trying to share metadata names across categories tend to make it much
harder to read IMO hence better use of subclassing and unique names
should improve it.

Audio needs some Metadata and Contact should use the standard vCard spec
fields as this is what Evolution Data server uses.

jamie